In this section
0 - Introduction to EM Phenomena, EMI and EMC
Provides 1 hour towards CPD
Included with Subscription.Details
All fluctuating electrical voltages and currents in conductors, whether signals, data, power or unwanted electrical noise…
- are really electromagnetic (EM) waves guided by the physical arrangements of conductors (e.g. copper) and insulating dielectrics (e.g. PVC, fibreglass, air)…
- giving rise to EM fields (Volts/metre: V/m, Amps/metre: A/m) in the dielectrics around the conductors…
- their ‘field strength’ diminishing, as the distance from the conductors increases.
Module is 69 slides over 35 pages
- What are EMI and EMC?
- Four types of EM energy coupling
- The EM environment and EM phenomena (conducted, radiated, continuous, transient, ESD, power quality, etc.)
- How devices can be interfered with
- EMC and the law
- EMC standards
- EMC and reliability
- Managing the functional safety risks due to EMI
- Data security
- Financial benefits of designing EMC in, from the start
- Some useful references
Get more from EMC Standards
EMC Standards is a world-leading resource for all things EMC and EMI related. Our website is packed full of both free and paid-for content, including:
- Online quiz
- Training quiz
- And much more!
Electromagnetic Engineering (EMgineering) is the basis for proven good design practices for signal integrity (SI), power integrity (PI), and the control of EMI emissions and immunity (EMC).
Our aim is to help people learn how to more quickly and cost-effectively design and manufacture electronic equipment (products, systems, installations, etc.) to meet functional (i.e. SI/PI) specifications and conform to EMC standards, directives and other requirements.
Such equipment should benefit from reduced warranty costs and financial risks, whilst improving uptime, competitiveness and profitability.
We also cover basic good electrical safety engineering; and the Risk Management of Electromagnetic Disturbances / EMI, whether for Functional Safety or other types of risk.Join EMC standards TODAY!